Saturday, May 3, 2008

Banana Blend with Egg Yolk

Frequently you'll find recipes that just call for egg white. I feed do the leftover egg yolk to my baby and my toddler. I figure they could certainly use the extra protein and calories. I use it, as I use all fruit purees, strictly as a midday snack or a dessert that follows a meal. Longlegs likes it. He calls it "Banana Pudding!"

Here is the recipe for Banana Blend with Egg Yolk as taken from my favorite baby cookbook: Canada Cooks! Baby's Choice. By Becky Paris-Turner. It was published in 1989 so if you ever find it at a yard sale.. snap...it...up! I have to stop myself from unnecessary gushing here - suffice it to say that it is filled with simple recipes for babies, toddlers and many healthily recipes that my husband and I have partaken of as well.



Banana Blend with Egg Yolk
Bananas are useful when introducing new foods to baby. This recipe introduces egg yolk gradually, in a small enough amount to catch any signs of intolerance. Serve this at lunchtime, then again at dinner if there have not been any adverse reactions. Serve it again the next day. Repeat this process a day or two later. If your baby seems to have tolerated it, you can add egg yolks to his diet. Makes four 1/3 cup servings.
1 hard cooked egg yolk
2/3 cup plain yogurt (optional, if I don't have it on hand I don't bother with it. -ed.)
1 ripe banana
In a small bowl, mash the egg yolk. Stir in the yogurt. Mash the banana to the consistency your baby likes. Stir it into the yogurt-yolk mix. Refrigerate the remaining portions, covered tightly, for 2 days.
Flavour variations: To prepare a great fast meal, mix 1/2 banana and 1/2 cup ricotta cheese or yogurt with 1 mashed egg yolk. Serve with 1/2 slice whole grain bread. This meal deliciously and easily combines all four food groups.

 
blog template by suckmylolly.com : background image by Patrick Hennessey