Saturday, May 10, 2008

I Have Trouble Doing The Dishes.

Vacuuming. No problem. Tidying. Can do. Make the bed, scrub the toilet. Sure, why not? Laundry. I'm there.

Dishes? Uhhh, maybe tomorrow.

I'm not sure what it is about washing the dishes. For as long as I can remember I'd rather do anything else. (Including blogging about how much I don't want to do the dishes.) Invariably the warmer weather comes and the fruit flies heartily thank me for the delightful repast I've left for them on the kitchen counter. Damn, I'm a pig. Well - at least that motivates me.

Let's examine the reasons why I should do the dishes, beyond the obvious ones that include words like "hygienic" and "bug free".

The kitchen is the first room in the apartment one walks through after coming through the front door. Aside from setting the tone of general tidylessness for visitors (which we haven't had in a coon's age) it's a little depressing for Bat-Hubs to come home after a long graveyard shift and be greeted with stacks of dishes, dried on food and baby bottles.

The more I don't do the dishes, the less time I want to spend in the kitchen. The less time I spend in the kitchen means less cooking, less baking which turns my gaze towards easier to prepare foods, convenience goods and my personal Achilles heel; take out food. This is a thoroughly irresponsible personal character flaw. As a SAHM, it's my job to feed the family. Not just that - feed them healthy, homemade meals. Food that fills the soul and the body. Canned pasta and Big Macs do not fall under that category.

Also, the less time I spend in the kitchen, the more it ends up costing on our food budget. We're a one income household - we can't afford fiscal slip ups like that.

So there we go. Doing the dishes equals penny pinching. Perhaps I should write that slogan out and post it on one of my cupboards. I need constant reminders.

Do your dishes, woman.

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network

 
blog template by suckmylolly.com : background image by Patrick Hennessey