Tuesday, December 4, 2007

My First Bento. *Bows*

It was quick... easy and ghetto as all heck, but I made Bat-Hubs his first bento for him to take to work. It was so much fun, arranging the food to fit into the only plastic container that would work. We're low on groceries but I was able to work something out.




Here you see two peanut butter and honey/jam bunwiches, cut in half, a maple-oatmeal muffin, raisins and fruit cocktail.

Then I decided to try my hand at onigiri (rice balls). I had some California short grain rice on hand... enough for one batch so I gave it a shot and you know what? It was easy and fun! I thought for sure it was going to take me several tries to come up with passable onigiri but I gotta say... I think I got it right. Having nothing in the house to use as a passable meat filling I decided to make them desert onigiri and use a maple-peanut butter concoction that I had made (which tastes similar to the Reese's Peanut Butter cups spread) for some failed PB&J bars.



Aren't they beautiful? *Glows* I'm gushing, I know but it's been a long time since I've been this inflated with such a sense of personal accomplishment. I decorated them with some carrot flowers. Packing school lunches is going to be such fun.

Turns out they were pretty good. I had none left for his lunch the next day. Bat-Hubs and Longlegs picked at them until they were all gone. I'll have to hide them next time.

Sometime in the new year I will have to treat myself to some actual bento supplies. For now, I'll continue to sluff it.

 
blog template by suckmylolly.com : background image by Patrick Hennessey