Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Chocolate Avocado Pudding... no foolin'


Oh my stars and garters – I have found the most heavenly recipe for chocolate pudding and the best part is… its equal parts avocado to sugar. This mixture has a lot of avocado in it! And it’s the best chocolate pudding I have ever had. I cannot rave hard enough.

I found a bag of reduced, over ripe avocados at the grocery store the other day (hey, 50% off, can’t complain!) and scooped them up. I took them home, scooped them out into my Magic Bullet (my best gift to myself but that’s fodder for another post) and puréed them until they were smooth and creamy. This gave the pudding the super creamy texture. Like velvet.

I served it to that night to my son, my husband (who hates avocado) and a visiting friend (who is very veggie savvy). No one suspected a thing. I’m not going to tell Bat-Hubs… chances are he’ll find a reason not to like it next time if he knew about the avocado.

The recipe is from Jessica Seinfeld’s Deceptively Delicious. God bless you, Mrs. Seinfeld. I love sneaking veggie purées into comfort food.



Chocolate Pudding (with Avocado)

¼ cup margarine (or butter)
1 cup avocado puree
1 cup icing sugar
½ cup cocoa powder
1 tsp vanilla
¼ cup cornstarch (I halved the amount she called for and it still turned out thick and creamy.)

In a saucepan, melt the margarine over low heat. Stir in the avocado purée, sugar, cocoa and vanilla. Cook, mashing well to smooth out any lumps of avocado (I found that if you pureed it to a velvety creamy texture to begin with, this step was unnecessary. – D.M) until the mixture thickens, 3 to 4 minutes. Off the heat, gradually stir in the cornstarch. Serve warm.

 
blog template by suckmylolly.com : background image by Patrick Hennessey